Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Alrighty, lets get some updates going!

Root beer:

Seriously, like how delicious could homemade root beer be? It is so delicious. Joe has had one to two glasses a day since the first batch finished its time in the bottle. I will put a picture of the extract used:



The directions are super simple:

1tbls of root beer extract
2.25 cups of sugar
1/4 teas yeast
Water

I used a glass bottle for mine because its what I had on hand but this is a very large recommended nono. Use 2 2 liter bottles for it. Mix it up in both and allow to sit in a dark place 3-5 days until the bottles feel firm. That's it!

For you Kentucky folks, I got my extract here

Cinnamon Rolls

I made these this morning for breakfast and mmmmmmmmm delicious! (I think I love that word) The recipe comes from "The Red Star Centennial Bread Sampler" and this is one of my cherished bread books. My mom had this book when I was a kid and it was where I learned to make a whole lot of bread. When I moved in on my own I wrote the Red Star Yeast company to see if they had a copy and low and behold they did! They even sent it to me for free! How is that for customer service!

The recipe that I use out of it is for Grandma's Cinnamon Rolls, I have no idea what makes these things so scrumptious but holy heck! They are something to be amazed at!

3 cups flour
1 pkg yeast
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teas salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/8 cup butter
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-2 teas cinnamon
2-4 tbls butter

This is a direct bread method, that's where you make no starter it's just all mixed together. (remember these are my quasi technical terms here)

Combine the first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In the microwave heat the next three ingredients till warm, not hot. Butter does not need to melt here, we are just looking for the ingredients to be warm. If the butter is melted it usually means the mixture is too hot, let it sit for a bit. (I've been known to stick it in the freezer because I'm impatient) Add the egg and milk mixture to the flour mix. Stir with a spoon until it is mixed.

Start adding up to the other two cups of flour, you are looking for a very sticky dough forming which upon the addition of more flour will start to form a ball in the bowl. When it does here are your two options for kneading...

1.) Use your stand mixer if you have one. Turn that baby onto 2-3 for the speed and let it go making sure that the dough continues to pull away from the sides by adding more flour as needed. (a tiny bit at a time)

2.) Turn the dough onto a floured counter and get kneading! Basically you want the mixture to be somewhat sticky yet not clinging to your hands. Add flour as needed to get this consistency. To knead start with the palms of your hands and push the dough away from you. With your fingertips gather it back and roll it towards you then push with your palms. Eventually it will turn into more of a roll, just fold it over itself and keep going with the rolling and gathering. Over and over and over till you think your arms are going to fall off. You are looking for a smooth looking dough with a slight bubble or two on it.

Either method let rise in the kitchen till it doubles. Should take about an hour. Punch it down and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the extra butter and mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl.

Roll the dough out into a large rectangle. Spread it with the butter and sprinkle with the sugar mix. Starting with your smaller end, roll up into a large log. Cut into rolls with a sharp knife and place into a greased cake pan or pie plate.

At this point you have two options:

1.) Let rise for another hour and bake at 425F for about 30-40 minutes, until tops are brown

2.) Put in the fridge overnight and bake the next morning. (I prefer this method.)

Either way, whip up your favorite frosting to frost with and you are in business!

No comments: