Monday, May 7, 2012

Let the season of gardening begin!

Danger of frost has finally left my little (well not that little) city of Louisville and since my veggie plants came in on Weds of last week, I needed to go ahead and work the ground some. Joe had already tilled about a month ago and the ground is still super soft and workable. He does a much better job tilling than I do, simply because he has more patience than I do.

So anywho, I set out 9 pepper plants, 18 tomato plants, a row of zucchini, another row of that, and a row of pumpkins. I have carrot seeds too but I'm currently trying to figure out where to put them. I plan on canning all the tomatoes into salsas, sauce, and crushed tomatoes.

We also finally got a decent fence built around the garden to keep the dogs and chickens out. I spent the money this year and got metal stakes insead of the crappy plastic ones I had last year that never held the fence up. I'm proud of the work put into it :) Ok, slight correction, that Joe put into it. He put up the fence for me while I cleaned out the chicken coop and tended to Lucy.

I still need to weed my front yard, remulch the rosebeds, get a new border to put around the rose bed, trim the roses, pull out the ugly bushes in front of our windows, and then trim down the plant that is taking over the corner of the house. That will most likely be next weekends project.

Other than that, not much else in my household. Have a few recipe posts to make and tonight I need to clean out the chick brooder and build something for them to go outside in.

Never ends.

No comments: