Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Yesterday was that wonderful day to reflect on everything you are thankful for. I had a dose of that while I was in the doctors office on Wednesday. There was a lady there that I am assuming did not know how to read, as she had someone else reading the patient information form for her. She didn't know the basic stuff that I always assumed most people knew. She didn't know what "sulfur" was or what "radiation" was. There was various other things there that I overheard that just made me reflect on myself.

I have a nice house, a couple cars, need nothing, have nice clothes, and enough to eat. I felt bad almost. I was wearing a suit jacket and jeans (how somewhat tacky, kill me) and had jewelery on. I had my engagement ring and a nice charm bracelet that Joe's mom gave me. I just ended up feeling like I was portraying myself as some sort of better person. I wanted to take it all off and kinda dumb down. I don't know how else to say it.

I am so thankful for everything I have. Reflecting on that is so hard to do whenever you think you need more. I need to stop being so damn wantful and pay attention to everything I have around me now.

Just for reference:

"According to the National Adult Literacy Survey, 42 million adult Americans can't read; 50 million can recognize so few printed words they are limited to a 4th or 5th grade reading level; one out of every four teenagers drops out of high school, and of those who graduate, one out of every four has the equivalent or less of an eighth grade education."

http://www.nrrf.org/essay_Illiteracy.html , 1996 Robert W. Sweet, Jr.

How do we let Americans have a 4th or 5th grade reading level! It's just plain sad! If I could figure out a way to make a difference in just one child's life, if everyone could, the rates would drop I would assume. That is my new goal for next year. "Adopt" a child in need and help them however I can to succeed.

No comments: