Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Good Horses

Well, it broke the 90 degree heat wave we've been having yesterday and it was a pleasent mid 80's. This prompted me to decide that somebody, even if its not me, is going to ride Memphis. Yesterday just confirmed that I should have no fear of my big dumb horse. :)

I decided before anyone got on him that I would lunge first. I wanted to see if he was going to be a total jerk or if he would take to being worked again. So I only saddled him and then walked him out to the arena.

I usually don't hold a lunge whip when lunging unless the horse is requiring me to use it. (Here is a random thinking from the innards of Rachel's mind: By requiring to use it I don't mean beat the heck out of the horse, I think I've only touched a horse with it once or twice and that was back in Dodge's day.)So I dropped the whip to the ground and then started to lunge him. He was an angel and acted like he'd been lunging for years. Guess all my working with him in the winter has paid off. He went through his gaits for me and transitioned as I asked him to. Needless to say, I was impressed and so I cut the session a little short.

Next was the 13 year old that has been begging me to ride him for a long time. I was kinda nervous to hop right up on him since I hadn't ridden in two months and in that time Memphis had done nothing. The 13 year old does have her own horse that she barrel races and she has a nice seat and hands, so I figured what the hey, she still bounces if she falls. :D

She did wonderfully. There was some resistance from Memphis when she was a little too tight on the reins, but after I showed her my method for dealing with him when he gets a little spunky (and for her to drop the reins a little) they worked out really well together. She wouldn't stop talking about how smooth he is and how much fun he is to ride. (she has a QH) She rode him for almost an hour and had him worked out in a sweat. I know he'll be a little sore today but it will be fine since he has 2 weeks off of work since I'm going on vacation.

He does need a new curb strap, his broke last night, and I may look for a larger bit for him since his a bit snug but works. It's hard to find things to fit his big goofey head. He got lots of kisses, pets, and two flakes of hay when I left last night.

For a horse that hasn't been ridden in two months, he did it like he was ridden every day. I love him so much and his great attitude.

No comments: