Monday, April 30, 2012

Gumbo - improved

So I'm not sure if I put up a gumbo recipe or not on here and I'm too lazy to go back and find if I did or not. But yesterday I was lazy, didn't want to leave the house, and tried to figure out what to make from what I had on hand. Shrimp and leftover brats in the fridge... gumbo it is!

There are few things to this recipe that are unconventional because I didn't want to leave the house. Dried onion vs real onion, brats vs the andoullie sausage, or chicken stock and a boullion cube instead of fish stock. But it was super duper good! The best I've ever made. So here it is for my future reference and if there are brave souls out there wanting to try it.

Gumbo:

1 head of celery chopped
1 cup of chopped sweet peppers (bell or other)
1 cup chopped onion OR 2-3 tabl dried onion
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tabl butter
1/2-1 cup of flour
1.5 tabl salt
2 tabl cayenne pepper (this was super spicy so go way down if you don't like really spicy food)
1 tabl garlic powder
1 tabl dried rosemary crushed in your hand
6 cups chicken stock
4 cups of water (can use all chicken stock)
1 veggie or chicken boullion cube
1 can of tomato sauce
1lb of shrimp
3 sausages (I used brats)

1.) Make the roux: Heat the oil and butter together in a large stockpot. Once both are pretty hot add in the flour. You want it to be a almost paste consistency. Yet you still need to be able to stir it around. This is trial and error that comes over time. Keep the heat on medium and stir stir stir. The mixture will eventually brown and I let it go till it gets to a dark caramel color. This is slow and steady work.

2.) Once the roux is made add in the celery, onion, and peppers. Stir the roux so it's all over them and keep stirring till the veggies are a little soft. Add in everything else but the shrimp and sausage. Let everything cook for an hour or so over medium heat stirring every now and again.

3.) The mixture should have thickend by now and then add in the shrimp and sausage. Give it another 30 minutes and you're done.

Serve over rice.

No comments: