Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Carnitas!

I have an unhealthy obsession with Carnitas. I mean it's borderline crazy. I love their crispy exteriors, fall apart interiors, and their oh so juicy greatness. I mean I could kick Joe out of bed and put them in his place. Not really, well maybe, on a night I'm mad at Joe. HA.

I also love my heart and knowing how these are REALLY made makes my heart ache and want to have a heart attack right now. The way they are supposed to be made is with braising them in lard, I just cannot bring myself to do that. I had to get creative and am fairly certain I have made the best carnita on earth! EARTH. Nah, I'm sure there is better out there but I am content with my version.

Please also remember I don't exactly measure, so to make an actual recipe, I am forced to put measurements. Please follow with some discretion.



Carnitas

1 teas paprika
1 teas garlic powder
1/2 teas salt
1 teas chili powder
2lbs pork shoulder, leave fat on
1-2 orange slices (optional)
Water to cover
Olive oil

Cut up your pork into 1-2 inch chunks. Mix the spices and add the pork, tossing to coat all the pieces. In a large ovenproof saucepan heat 1 tabls of olive oil. Brown the pork in batches, making sure to attempt to get most of the sides. Heat an oven to 300F. Once the pork is browned add it back to the saucepan and add enough water to come up halfway of the pork. Add the orange slices. Cover and place in the oven. After 1.5 hours remove the cover and stir the pork. Roast another hour or so.

Pour off the water from the pork. Turn the broiler on high in the oven. Broil the pork on all sides till the outside is crispy. Serve with lots of tortillas, guacamole, salsa, cheese, and whatever else your heart desires.

No comments: