Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Honey of a Whole Wheat Bread

K, well I have quite a few recipes that I need to add here. I'll start with one of my absolute favorite breads first. This is our standard issue sandwich bread in our house. It comes from the Red Star Yeast book I always talk about. Pure love.

Honey of a Whole Wheat Bread



I know how lazy am I? I just totally took a picture of the ingredients. I am a genius, gosh I should like start a cult of genius's or something.

Anywho, in a large bowl combine 2 cups of the all purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat, yeast, and salt.



In a 4 cup measure, bowl, or whatever you want add the milk, honey, water, and butter. Now a side note about the butter, I do not use it and instead sub coconut oil in my recipes for bread. It doesn't taste like coconut and it helps the bread keep longer. Proceed how you wish. I pop mine in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. Add to the flour mixture with the egg and beat for 3 minutes.



Add the second cup of whole wheat flour and switch to a dough hook. Then add another cup of white flour. Turn the mixer back on and let the dough hook form the dough. If you are mixing by hand, mix in as much flour as needed to bring the dough together and dump onto a floured counter. On either method, add flour as needed to prevent sticking and keep the dough a little sticky yet firm. Knead 5-7 minutes by hand and 2-4 minutes with a stand mixer.

Put dough back into bowl, cover, and let rise until double. About an hour or so.





Punch down dough, split in two, and roll out to a rectangle on a floured counter. Roll the rectangle up starting with the shorter end and place into a greased bread pan. Allow to rise again till double, about 30-40 minutes. Bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes till tops are nice brown and the bread sounds hollow when thumped. Cool completely before cutting.



No comments: