Thursday, February 11, 2010

Teriyaki chicken!

I took no pictures of this dish, I really need to up my picture game, really. So this is a mixed dish, something that I make at least 2-3 times a year and this would be perfect for a small informal summer dish eaten outside. There isn't a whole lot of heat, despite the jalapeno's, but I guess you could omit them if you like.

Teriyaki Sauce

2 tabls brown sugar
3 tabls water
1 teas rice vinegar
2 tabl soy sauce
1 tabl rice wine
1 teas cornstarch
1 teas water

Add everything into a small saucepan but the cornstarch and 1 teas of water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to about medium. Stir together cornstarch and water and add to hot mixture, making sure to stir well. Keep heating until thickened. Remove from heat.


Pineapple Salsa

1/4 pineapple
1/4 mango
1 small onion
1/2 bunch cilantro
1-2 hot peppers
1 squeeze of lime
Very tiny pinch of salt

Chop all the fruits and veggies up into a small dice. Chop the cilantro till fine and add to a bowl with everything else. Stir well.


Compile your stuff:

Here is where it gets fun! You can do chicken, like I did, or hit the steak, pork, shrimp, tofu, or anything else your heart desires. Grill whatever meat you are going to use basting with the sauce. After its done cooking pull off the heat, top with the extra sauce and then cover in salsa. Serve with salad and a wild rice mix.

Simple, healthy, and really really really good. I had one guy eating the salsa out of the bowl. I have also done this dish with a great looking chunk of fish. The possibilities are endless.

I will say though if more than two people you will need to double or triple the amount of sauce. No matter, it easily does it.

Good luck!

No comments: