Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Boots

So I bought a new pair of riding boots. I actually dropped cash on these. My first pair of riding boots were just paddock boots and they were CHEAP. Saxon's that I bought for 25 bucks. I will say that while the cheapies were not comfortable to walk in, they did hold up to 3 years of riding. Eventually the pull strap to pull them on broke, the glue holding the upper to the sole broke, and what did them in for me? My shoelace finally bit the dust.

So I started looking at brands of boots. I really only wanted to buy Ariats or Justins. I settled on Justins. Here is what I got:

http://www.bootbarn.com/L9900,-Color:-Cognac,-Size:-9.5,-Width:-B/731871769443,default,pd.html

I know, ostrich print? I needed some flare without some obnoxious color. :)

Now boots, I have found people either think their needed or think they are not. I'm in the yes they are needed camp. The tennis shoe's riding is not for me. I really did get spoiled by boots. I like the way my feet feel in the stirrups with the boots on. I also find that in tennis shoes my feet slide more in the stirrups or they don't move when I need them to. Now scratch your all's heads at that comment, but I swear it to be true.

Two things I don't want to be without with my horse... boot's or a helmet. Which the helmet is the next thing I want to get a new one of. I have just a standard Troxel white helmet. It works, does its job, and I feel safer with it on. But, I want some style if I'm gonna be trail riding heavier this fall/winter. Sounds dorky I know haha.

In other news, Memphis' leg since turnout is doing much better. Not sure if I ever blogged about his leg, but he had a HUGE fluid build up in it from banging his leg on the stall when he eats. (he is quirky like that) He also bangs it when he is impatient. Vet had to be called out and she said there is no damage, gave me some DMSO chock full of steriods, gave Memphis a big dose of steriods and gave me the all clear.

But, the leg kept me from doing anything with him for 2 weeks. You can stil see a small amount of the fluid in the leg, but he isn't lame on it so I am happy. And the vet says that it could come back. Joy.

I will say though, Memphis, since this incident, has quit banging his stall so much. I think a lot of that has to do with the hobbles that I bought. Barn owner uses the hell out of them on him, or did. Memphis hasn't been hobbled in a few weeks.

Haha and I never did go into this farrier incident. I'll save that for another post, this one is getting long and doesn't seem to have direction anymore! But I'm good at rambling.

1 comment:

Funder said...

My only objection is that those are way too cute to ride in!

If you can try on a bunch of helmets, do so! They're like saddles, except even less descriptive. I rode for a year in a Troxel then switched to a Tipperary Sportage, and I got super lucky - I love the Sportage and it fits like there's nothing on my head. But it's pretty individualized and I'm not just blindly recommending Tipperaries.