Friday, June 10, 2011

Turnout and Bath's

Throughout the winter Memphis got very little turnout. I feel bad about this, but I'm happy where he is boarded at. He always has fresh water, stall is cleaned every day, grained twice a day, and 4 flakes of hay in the winter. If something was wrong it was fixed and treated first, while I was/am on the phone. So for his quality of care is excellent, then I will not bitch too much about a small amount of turnout in the winter.

In the spring we had epic amounts of rain, so again, turnout was very very limited since the pasture was essentially mud. My barn owner likes to keep her horses dry and so Memphis gets to do what her horses do. (I'm her only boarder haha)

When it hit 80F and was somewhat dry, I decided to give Memphis his first bath. Get all the winter wooley hair that was still clinging out and get rid of that dust that plagues every horse. Anyone who reads this that has a horse knows what I'm talking about.

So, lets go with Memphis hadn't been out of his stall to run around for a bit, it's now warm, and I'm wanting to contain him for a bath? HA. His feet were a goin in every direction but with the help of my barn owner we got him done.

Fast forward to yesterday, where now Memphis has been turned out every single day for the past two weeks. The past week it has been 90F or more every single day. I wanted to ride last night buuuutttt Memphis was sweating just standing outside. I couldn't do that to him, but I used this to work on the hose.

Here's how it went:

Pull Memphis out of the pasture. Lead him into the barn to the hose. Turn hose on. Walk Memphis and hose out to the drive. Drop hose. Hose kicks on and starts spraying water AND wiggling around on the ground. Me tries to remain calm while thinking to myself Memphis might flip out thinking it's a horse eating hose. Memphis actually took the hose off like a champ. I think this is because he was soooooooo hot that the cold water felt really really good.

Other than screaming for his friends (which was corrected with a snap on the lead rope) he did the whole thing quite nicely.

I'm gonna hose him, or at least try to, every time I'm out. I'd like to be able to tie him and then hose him, though I think that is a little ways off.

But there. That is my big dumb horse post :)

No comments: