Thursday, August 30, 2012

Horsey reflections

I started looking back through my older posts of Dodge and even some of my early postings of Memphis. I LOVE reflecting on things like this because as I read back I realized how little I did know and how far I've come now. Some of the way's I did things I realize were probably not the greatest, but I know if I had never done them then I would not be who I am now. I also know that I'm still learning and I currently have a solid foundation so far of how I would continue to move forward.

With Dodge, I expected too much from her too fast. I took a horse that was neglected, skinny, and hadn't been ridden in a few years, and expected her to perform to how I thought she should right off the bat. Not taking into serious consideration of how slow I really needed to take things. Most of what I did was fine, but a lot of it was just newbie stuff. Like putting her in an O-ring and expecting her to have a woah HAHAHAHAHA

With Memphis, I have taken for granted his gentle nature and up until just this past month I finally was able to grit my teeth and get firm. Not only firm, but also take a few steps back and see I'm asking too much on a foundation that isn't built yet.

This is a learning process. I've been learning :)

No comments: