Friday, August 3, 2012

The Barn

I arrived at the barn at around 5:45. Memphis had not eaten and was a little perturbed about the entire fiasco of his stable mates eating away and him being left in the stall. My barn owner left his ration of grain on top of his grooming tub for me to give him whenever I was finished. Nice lady she is remembered that I was coming out tonight and asked her not to feed him since I knew he was about to work.

I pulled his halter off his stall door and clicked open the latch. He waited for me right at the door. As always, I had to look at the halter to make sure that I had it facing the correct way and I was ready to put it on his head. I always think to myself that I should know by now how to put a halter on a horse, but I digress.

For the first time in a long time I never questioned what I was about to do. I snapped him to the lead rope attached to the outside of his stall and did a quick groom over him. I patted his neck and scratched his happy spot on his face. I contemplated pulling his halter off and bridling him that way, but thought better of it since he was already upset he was still not eating.

Sprayed him down with fly spray and then put his saddle pad on. He wasn't happy, but in the end I won. Then goes on the saddle and then attaching the girth to the off billet. Around to the other side. Adjust the pad, smooth down the hair underneath the pad, and then move the saddle up a little bit. As always, cinch up the girth with the latigo questioning my method of tie. I always second guess myself when I get ready to tie it off, why? I have no idea.

Then its the fingers under the girth to make sure it's tightened enough. Yep, two fingers can barely fit. Ok lets move onto the next things...

Find a bucket to help myself mount up on and then place it in the arena while unlatching the gate. Memphis watches me with a curious look from the barn doors. As he sighs, I untie the lead rope and start leading him to the arena. Couple sharp corrections for trying to outwalk me while leading later, we are standing at the front of the arena. I resnap the chain to keep him from thinking of leaving. I then guide him to the bucket and unsnap the lead rope tying it around the cantle of the saddle.

I hop onto my boy and just sit there. I stroke his mane and then scratching his favorite areas while trying to let him know it's ok.

Fast forward to 20 minutes in and I finally feel confident enough to ask him to go. There is a reason I bought this horse.. a huge reason..

I give him a slight nudge with my calf and a slight kiss while moving my hips a little forward in the saddle. He responds like a dream. I gather up the reins and put them up near his neck while sitting up straight and making sure my legs are in alignment with my body. I then enjoy the ride.

HOLY HELL... THIS is why I bought this horse. THIS is what I wanted out of a Walker. THIS is what I forgot about since I gave birth.

He was collected. I was still. We both kinda melted together.

I let him go about 3 bouts around the arena and then I let him flat walk.

I can't wait for Lucy to try this...

No comments: