Friday, October 30, 2015

Butters Rides!

I got the option of not getting my husband and kiddo from work yesterday. This meant that I would be home about 45 minutes earlier and I took full advantage of this. I decided to get half my homework done yesterday at work so I could go home to try out Butters.


Taking it back in time just a little, when I bought Butters I did ride him, but I'm going to guess he was not comfortable with the tack that he was using. He was in a standard D-ring and had no control. I don't ride in anything but shanked bits, so remembering the amount of contact needed on a bit like this was a conscious effort, which could be part of the control issues. He also had a curb chain on the D-ring... . He didn't ride GREAT but I figured, what the hey, he should make a great little guy with some work.


So out to the field I went yesterday with a halter and lead rope to find the horses. Once found I let them "catch" me; meaning I just sat down on the ground. Of course Mr. Memphis was the first over to say hello and try to eat my hair. Butters just stood there like "oh hell no I see that halter", but let me go up to him to halter. Note to self, a pony halter is a little too small and a horse halter is a little too big. Sweet Butters.


Last night was the first time I've had the time to scramble up on him. Memphis was not pleased that it was Butters getting ridden, but I think Memphis will survive. Since I have no saddle that fits Butters and I don't want to buy a wide tree saddle for him just to have it not fit in a year, I bought a bareback pad to ride in. Took me a second to scramble up onto him but once I was up, we were off! I rode him in one of Memphis' first bits, just a shorter shanked bit with a port. (Memphis likes ported bits) At first I rode with some pressure on the reins and he balked so I released all pressure and rode on a very loose rein.


He still shook his head. That tells me that either he hates the amount of bit or his teeth need to be floated. I'm going with a mixture of both. I might see if a Wonderbit or Kimberwick would be better for him and get rid of the port all together. I wasn't planning on having the vet out till next spring, but if I need to, I'll get him out sooner to float his teeth.


Other than that, Butters is very willing. I didn't let him go above a walk as I wanted this to be a positive riding experience for him since he doesn't really know me and hasn't been in work for a long time. If I have daylight tonight available I'll try again. Or ride Memphis.. Memphis loves to go go go. :) 

No comments: