Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Guns and Dogs

So Joe and I went to the gunshow on Saturday. Pretty standard issue gun show things; guns, ammo, gun parts, random crap, and a lot of people watching for amusement. I went in with small anticipation for a new gun. Let me emphasize small anticipation. Then I get to the gunshow and see a gun that I've been looking at. Start handling it, start talking to the seller, and then bam. There I am filling out a yellow form and pulling out $460 bucks for the gun. 30 minutes after I picked it up I had it in a cute black case ready to take home.

So I know, wondering what that gun happened to be? Well, I picked up a Springfield XD 40, the compact version; that's the one with the 4" barrel. I am past excited to take it out to shoot it! I have shot Joe's many times but his is the subcompact version so it's like a mini me version of mine. Hopefully in the next year I'll have my CCW and can start carrying it around with me. I know, I know, that seems somewhat trashy to be carrying as a female. A person can say that all they want till their in a situation that has scared the pants off of them.

Then there is my cute big dog. He is just a huge idiot that I really don't think I could live without. I am NOT a crazy dog lady, so get that thought out of your head. I just really do love my dog. He is my best friend and is totally loyal to me. Well, to be fair he is a huge sissy and runs from his own shadow.... Yet, the other night when I couldn't sleep I went out to the couch to watch tv at 4:30am; that magical time of the morning when there is nothing on. Good stuff to put one to sleep to. Buck was laying on the couch just curled up into a tiny ball and sleeping. I got a blanket and laid my head on Buck's neck and fell right to sleep. Instead of moving away, Buck just required some of my blankets and cuddled his head into my chest.

Joe came out around 7am to wake me from my blissful slumber and I have no idea when or how I fell asleep. I just know Buck is super warm and did not mind me sleeping on him one bit. He is just the best cuddler I know. His calmness when petted or recieving attention is the most wonderful thing in the world. He is always willing to go hiking with his pack on, go chase some cows at the farm, go for a walk, or hang out with all the campers at the campsites. I am so happy I adopted him from the city pound, even though I don't believe he is smart enough to realize what I did.

The picture that graces the front of this blog was from the first year I owned him. That was when Buck first figured out what the word "lake" meant and how to jump off the back of the boat. He loves to play fight and so that pic is of one of my friends doing just that with him. He is my best friend and I hope to do everything I can for him till the end of his days.

No comments: