Saturday, April 11, 2009

Horses are funny things..

I rode Chex today. I am past happy about it and much to his startled self, I gave him a big hug. We started out the ride with a small buck in which I sat it just fine, pulled him up, and went on. Then he began to hate a corner in the arena. I think part of it was my fault. I didn't snug in the stirrup leather and when I gave him a leg pressure, the leather rubbed him thus the first buck of the day.
Fixed that problem. Then my patterns started and every single time I came around a certain corner he would start to flip his head around and try to dart. Pull him up again, sooth talk him, gently nudge him forward, and continue.
Then we changed the pattern. I asked for a trot. For NO REASON, well that I could see, he started explosively bucking. I was giving him no real cue at the moment. No leg pressures, no reins, no seat, nothing. We just trotted around a corner and towards the dreaded side of the arena.
I sat four HARD bucks. I pulled the reins up and this caused his head to flip upwards and he reared up. I let the reins out which helped alot. I know the reason he reared up was pulling the reins, I was trying to pull him back together but he wasn't having it. When he went up I was sure we were going to flip over and he was going to land on me. Thats cool. Whatever. He went forward again and gave a mini buck and for whatever reason this knocked me out of the saddle. I desperately tried to hold on with my legs and sit back in the saddle. I ended up begining to fall off sideways. By this time my right leg was out of the stirrup and that leg was trying to do everything it could to keep me from falling off.
At this point my left leg was in the stirrup and was holding my weight at least but bailing wasn't a good option because that left me in trample range. Cool. My trainer had at this point grabbed the reins and whisper to me "thank god you didn't fall off and you did an awesome job staying on" . She then gruffly told Chex what was on her mind. She asked if I still wanted to ride, shit yeah I did. I let her work him out a little then I got right back on him to continue what I was doing before.
Lesson learned? Don't try to pull a horse up when bucking. I could have dealt with just the bucking, it was the displacement of his upward movement followed by a small buck. Of course, getting back on. :) I told her I can't wait to ride him next week :)

No comments: