Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Horse (Dodge I think)

Here is my plan of attack:

1.) talk to the owner and see what I can work out with her. I can't move the horse for 1-2 months

2.) Joe likes her and wants to change the name... so that is something to think about

3.) Get a freaking farrier out there, she isn't lame yet but how long until she is..

4.) Get her stall cleaned out and try to get some shavings or straw over there for not only her but for those hooves

So that is my plan of attack. I gave her the bath of her life, bless her heart. I did not do her head or 100% of her legs because until I got to pick her hooves I was wary of how she would react. She was actually really easy going, she just ate the entire time we bathed her. I think that's why Joe likes her. I think she will be an bitch once she is back up to shape but for the moment she is got that f-you attitude. We had lots of respect talks. She's funny like that. She tried taking off on me once and got a prompt smack on the neck and a gruff talking to. She tried it once more and that time the same but I took away her food. She didn't do it again after that point.

I figured she would "dance" once we started the water and bathing. It didn't even phase her. I showed her the hose, started at her feet, and she could care less. She seemed to enjoy that bath soooo much. She smells funky now, kinda like horse and iodine but thats ok. She was SOFT once she got dried off. I'm really proud of myself.

I really really like her. I am going to try to get the owner to let me just take over and then move her in a month or two. I'm getting a second job to take care of her. How sad is that. I don't think the owner will care if I provide all the food, clean the stall, make sure she is groomed, pay for the farrier, and get a vet out there or me take her to one. The horse is almost out of hay so that is my first priority right now. She has plenty of hay pellets out in the shed so I'm good there. Need to get her ass wormed though! Hopefully today I can get to the feed store and pick some up.

She did step on me but there was no talks or discussion or smacking there. I'm pretty sure she is in pain on the back feet. Further neccesating my need to get a freaking farrier out there. Her two front feet were horrid. The smell that came from them was unreal. There was rocks, sticks, and manure just packed into her misshapen hooves. I know she had to feel somewhat better with them picked out. I avoided the frog though, I was afraid it was going to be sore so I didn't pick all that hard around it. I'll wait for the farrier.

Her backs were a little different. Once I started picking picking she wasn't as happy and kept trying to put her foot down. That is where she stepped on me. The one back leg I gave up on, too much of a fight. I got some picked but not quite like the other three. I know that is just going to make it worse but hopefully I can get the farrier out there next week. My trainer gave me the one she uses so I will try him first. Since her horses feet always look really good.

Then there is the stall..... I am not 100% sure how to tackle that. It's a dirt floor. I will have to ask the owner how she had done it in the past. I'm pretty sure when it was up and running the owner did an awesome job... not so much anymore. I'm more than happy to take over ;)

So here is my life coming up.

Stop lessons for the time being
Get a second job (already have one)
Look at boarding stables with pasture board for the summer
Begin to take over the care of this horse

I have dove into horses in a totally different way than I ever thought possible. I even fed her last night! She is just too freaking sweet. I feel alot of new posts about her in the future.

Love.

No comments: