Sunday, May 3, 2009

New Horsey updates and other muesings

On Friday I visisted my new favorite horse again. I came more prepared and stopped by Kentucky Horse Supply before seeing her to get some supplies. 2 big bags of shavings, 1 lead rope (we had been using a lunge line), 2 containers of wormer, and 1 hoof pick with a brush. I had also picked up 2 apples after finding out that she does not care for carrots at all.

I groomed her all over again while she ate the grass around her. She looks sooooooo much better after that bath we gave her. I'm happy to say it looks like the hair is growing back! I am not sure if that was just a horrible need of grooming, my iodine/shampoo bath worked, or she is just happier having people out there that are paying attention to her. It could also be an all three combo working for her.

I am much happier having an actual lead rope for her as well. We were using a stud chain/lunge line before. I really didn't like it because the chain went over her nose. I'm not big on causing pain if I don't have to. Which, by the way, thank god I have taken all those lessons and thank god I have a trainer who is firm yet gentle with horses.

I needed to pick her hooves again and she gave me 1 hoof. The other ones she was just content on not giving me. At first she got a smack and a gruff "lift". That did nothing. She didn't even care. Joe was kinda like what do we do? Member all those circles I so lovingly talk so much about? I figured if she wasn't going to get it with a smack, she probably wouldn't do much with more hitting and/or pain. So I threw the idea out the window about that.

I took the lead rope and we did about 10 small circles much to her dismay. She tried to stop at about 3, but haha! She is NOT in control here, I am. I stopped her at 10 and had Joe hold her head up so she couldn't eat at the moment. While he was holding her I then tried to lift her feet. Success! I told Joe to let her go back to her favorite thing, eating, and I was able to lift all 3 hooves with no more resistance. I also gave her lots of apples and little apple treats for that. Kinda a breakthrough and I'm really happy about it.

Her hooves were much easier to pick this time around as well. Thank god. Now I just need to get the farrier out there and get to work on them. Which leads me to the stall. YUCK. I mucked for about an hour and I feel like I didn't even skim the surface. I got as much of the wet grossness as I could do before my body said stop. I laid out 2 bags of fresh pine shavings and called it a day. I figure if I can get a little bit more out at a time its better than nothing at this point. I need to get another bag of shavings and keep it in the tack shed for mucking.

She seemed really happy about the new shavings. I hope somehow I am brightening her spirits a little. But then again, anything is better than standing in shit all the time. I'm also going to pick up a bag of senior feed and instruct the owner to give her half a can of that a day as well as the hay and pellets. I want to slowly get her system used to grain, very slowly. Only because this poor girl has nothing to graze on or anything and we need some weight on her!

Which reminds me, she took the wormer quite nicely! I was expecting a fight! I had Joe hold the halter, which took him about 2 tries to really get it. For a man that has no horse experience, he sure is doing an awesome job with her. We measured the wormer, lifted her lip, and stuck it in. She took it like a champ and didn't spit it out. Yay! What an awesome mare!

I'm currently in the market for pasture boarding. I do not want her in a stall! I'm skimming everything for it. I want her to get fat and healthy on grazing in an open pasture and just be a horse. Sigh. I probably won't even tack her up for a year, let her hooves work themselves out. I also need to get a vet to get her her shots and give just a general checkup. I am trying so hard with her. I hope it all pays off. :)

Love.

No comments: