Monday, May 25, 2009

Dang

The feed store is not open today. Dang. I am happy I dropped off that bag of senior feed over there yesterday, that way the owner has a way to give her food. She still has plenty of hay and I felt bad yesterday because I didn't grab another bale from the loft. I seriously couldn't, my toe was searing in pain. I hope the owner was able to get up there, if not I'll get a bale down tomm. The good thing about that senior feed is that it is a complete feed. So as long as the owner gives her enough feed today, she won't need the hay. She'll survive for a day.

So let me tell you about my toe and then let me tell you how bad I felt after she stepped on it. I think I mentioned on here that I broke it a few weekends ago. Stupid act on my part and yes, lots of the devils elixir was involved. I didn't just break it though, I skinned it almost to the bone in the knuckle part of the toe. I'd show you the picture, but I'll save you your lunch that was probably quite delicious.

It was about 89% healed. Bending it still required alot of effort but the bruising had pretty much gone away and it didn't hurt to wear shoes. So yesterday I was returning her to her stall after her groom and she tried to run over me to get in there. I promptly did our "I'm better than you" exercise. Which is where I stand in front of her and push her ass back. I think she was super duper hungry as it didn't appear she had been fed yet, so I'll at least let her slide there.

When I pushed her back all was fine and she took a step foward toe readjust her balance. That step landed on my foot. I was in a ton of pain but suprisingly very calmly asked for back. She didn't move so I started to push her. Still didn't move. So all I had in my hand was her lead rope and I gave her a very firm whack. She moved back off of my foot and after I regained my senses (she stood quietly while I was in total pain) I then gritted my teeth and gave her a pat, scratch, and a good girl.

I put her in her stall and had Joe get her feed. I gave her a flake of hay and told her she was a gooooooodddd girl. While I was standing there Joe said I should probably take a look at the foot to make sure it wasn't anything bad going on. Low and behold after I took my shoe off my sock was soaked in blood. That nice little gash I had on my foot got reopened. Great. Suprisingly she didn't break my toe as it has a normal happy healthy color to it. I bandaged it up really well and it looks super. All except it looks like rats got ahold of my toe and gnawed on it for an hour. I'm doing really good!

I really did feel bad about whacking her, but I gave her a verbal cue, a more aggressive pushing cue, and then the last resort was the whack. I then turned around and praised her for the backwards motion. I gritted my teeth and then went on like nothing happened. I just hope that was all the right way to deal with the situation.

Yesterday when I got there she was out in the "pasture" eating grass. Which made it easy for me because I could get right to her stall. I had walked out to say hello to her and the second she saw me she came right to me. She just trotted right over to me very happy to see me. She got lots and lots of pets and talking to because of that.

Her grocery list includes hay extender pellets and a salt lick. She was licking the fencing while I was grooming her so I think I am going to start providing her with salt. I also need to worm her again and am going to see if the feed store doesn't have the Quest wormer.

Other than that she stands quietly for grooming and now associates me with happy stuff. It also helps I have treats usually for her. She is a complete and total whore for the apple treats. She has also started talking to me. I find it totally cute. She just nickers and nickers whenever I do something that she likes. Like when I take the curry comb and rub it behind her jaw. Good lord, she is in total love.

Lunging is going really well. We worked on walk on Friday. She did quite well but has alot of energy when on the lunge line so it's a little hard to keep her focused.

No comments: