Monday, May 11, 2009

Beginner Mistakes

Reading the recent blog on Fugly had me thinking. I have two big ones.

1.) Leaving the lead rope on with her loose and grazing. What a dumb idea on my part. Not anymroe.

2.) Thinking the owner knew best. My gut feeling screams no on that one. Riding her on Saturday really made me angry but I really can't lose my head till I can move her. I don't want to risk losing her.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm supposed to meet the farrier today at 6pm. I'm past elated!!! Yay! I'll be sure to get pics to post, since it is the right thing to do. ;) I want to hit the feed store after I leave work but that depends on the time I get to that side of town. I really am not minding a 30 minute drive. I also need to put in an order for hay pellets there. She is almost out. Need to find hay too, I'm hoping the feed store can help me there.

I need to check out the unused stall in the barn. If it is safe I am going to start sticking her in that one too. The far end stall is too far gone at the moment and needs to dry out for like weeks. I've gotta get her hooves looking good again. I hope she stands nice for this trim.

Yesterday I made up some random exercise to just work with her. It was called "I'm not big, bad, or evil. I have treats." Basically it went something like this. If I walked up to her I wanted her to notice me and then walk over to me. If she did, she got a treat. If she didn't, then I would walk a little closer to her and get her attention. By the third time she got it. If she walked over to me she got a treat. She loves to work for food. Hehe.

I need to work on her walking skills on the lead rope. She wants to just get all in front of me and walk faster than I am. It's bad when she knows its time to go into the stalls because she almost wants to overrun me to get in the stall. We're doing a stop and stand. She can't move till I move. I really don't know if this is the best approach, because I'm such a newb. If there are idea's out there for this, let me in on that secret!

No comments: